When you head on your RV trip you want to make sure you have everything you need. Here is our recommended RV packing list so you can get your RV loaded up and ready to go for an amazing trip!
Check out our RV Checklist To Make Your Trip A Success too!
Traveling in an RV means you are probably going to be spending a lot of time outside. Take that into account when packing and know it means the kids are probably going to get dirty so don’t bring their fancy clothes. Instead bring outside clothes that they can run and around, play in and get dirty.
With being outside a lot it also means that you will probably want layers. Even if you travel in summer the nights can still get chilly and you will most likely be sitting around a campfire. Since the weather can get colder at night and the bugs can come out having long sleeves and pants for nighttime is a good idea.
Most RV parks do have a laundromat so keep that in mind when packing and know you can go and wash clothes if you need to. If this is a big part of your plan do confirm with the campground that they have a laundromat on site.
Here are the clothes we recommend for each person:
- A pair of shorts per day
- A t-shirt/tank top per day
- 2 pairs of underwear per day (good to have extra)
- 2 pairs of sweatpants
- 1 long sleeve shirt
- 1 sweatshirt
- Bathing Suit
- Running/hiking shoes
You don’t want to forget all of your toiletries! You will be camping but the beauty of going in an RV means you probably have a shower in your rig. For these pack very similar to what you would if you were going to stay in a hotel:
- Shaving Cream
- Pony Tail Holders
- Hair brush/comb
A few other items you don’t want to forget:
- Bug Spray
- Suntan Lotion
- Shower Towels (if you don’t want to use the beach ones)
- Feminine products if you will need those during your trip
Things in RV’s break . . . so it is always good to have a basic set of tools along with you. Here is a list of what we recommend having on hand. If you are planning a trip longer then a couple weeks there is definitely more that we would recommend. But for your basic RV road trip this should do.
Please note if you are using an RV rental there is a good chance they may have some of these things already in the RV. Please do check with them and then decide what you want to bring.
- Duct Tape
- Set of socket wrenches
- Screwdrivers (phillips and regular)
- Pocket Knife
Don’t forget the fun stuff! The kids will appreciate if you can bring a few toys from home that they can play with when they need some downtime. It is also fun to play board games together as a family and watch movies. Plus you don’t want to forget all your fun toys too!
- Magna Tiles/Blocks
- Board Games
- Card Games
- Coloring Books
- Sand Toys
- Pool Toys (googles)
- Paddle Boards
- Boogey Boards
- Fishing Gear
- Baggo or other outside games
- Bikes – if you can fit them
- Scooters – note some campgrounds are all gravel so these won’t work well
- S’more Sticks
- Phone Chargers – plug with it
- iPad Charger – plug with it
- Computer Charger – plug with it
- WiFi hotspot if you need to be connected
- Movies – ask if they have a DVD Player – may not be Blue Ray
- Portable speaker
A lot of the time rented RV’s come with all of this. If you are renting an RV you should ask them what they are providing and then you can use theirs or bring your own – whatever works for you! If you do bring your own I would recommend telling the RV owner so they can clear out their things from the cabinets.
You really don’t need a lot when it comes to cooking utensils. If you keep your meal planning simple then you only need a few things.
- Large Pot
- Pizza Pan (make sure these fit in the RV oven – ask the RV owner the size)
- Baking Dish (make sure these fit in the RV oven – ask the RV owner the size)
- Coffee Maker
- Oven Mitts
- Dish Towels
- Dish Soap
- Water Bottles – nice to have when you go hiking too
- Water Filter – we highly recommend the Berkey
- S’more sticks
- Cutting board
- Grill lighter – longer lighter for lighting the stove and firepit
If these aren’t supplied (most will be if renting). Then you will also need the following:
- 1 plate per person
- 1 cup per person
- 1 set of silverware per person
- Coffee cups
- Wine Glasses
- Whiskey Tumbler
- Large mixing spoon
- Pizza cutter
- Can opener
- Wine bottle opener
- Sharp Knife
Here are some of our easy RV Meal ideas to help you with planning your grocery shopping list. Remember keep it simple!
- Cinnamon Rolls
- Eggs, bacon and hash browns
- Grilled Cheese
- Buttered Pasta and Parmesan Cheese
- Peanut Butter and Jelly
- Hummus and Veggies
- Mac and Cheese
- Frozen Pizza
- S’mores stuff
- Drink Mixes
Here are a few more things that didn’t fit into a specific category but we definitely recommend you have with you.
- Portable Hammock Stand
- First Aid Kit
- Hand Soap for bathrooms
- Clothes Drying Rack – may be good for drying swimsuits and towels – if you have room for it.
- Folding Chairs
- Toilet Paper
- Paper Towel
Sleeping – If you want you can bring your own pillows and blankets! Everyone may sleep better this way.
- Sound Machine
If you have pets traveling with you you don’t want to forget all the things they need!
- Pet gear
- Collar (with tags)
- Food Bowl
- Water bowl
- Pet food
- Longer rope/leash to hook up when you are outside
- Poop Bags
- Dog Bed
We hope this RV packing checklist helps you while getting prepared for your RV camping trip!
Another good list to have on hand is an RV checklist to make sure that you do everything you need to do as you are preparing to hit the road. Click here to see our post on RV Checklist To Make Your Trip A Success
If you don’t have an RV yet and are thinking about renting one check out our post: 9 RV Rental Tips You Will Want To Read
We hope you enjoy your RV trip!
More RV Content
We have a podcast on Full time RV Family Travel! You can check it out here!
Pin This Post For Later:
- 29 Unexpected Things About Full Time RV Living With Kids - August 30, 2023
- 9 Best Campfire Starter Kits For Your Next Adventure - August 28, 2023
- Tips On Visiting All 5 Cinque Terre Towns [Map Included] - August 28, 2023